Driving in Europe Post Brexit

By: James Ruppert
Driving in Europe After Brexit

Driving in Europe? Driving in Europe after Brexit? Who knows if it’s ever going to happen? Just in case though, it pays to be prepared for a post Brexit Europe.


What Do You Need?

Actually, nothing much will really change in what you already carry with you. You will still need a valid passport (which has at least 6 months left and is less than 10 years old), travel insurance, which covers you for healthcare, and if your pet is travelling with you, contact the vet four months before travel.

Sorting out your car is easy, but make sure you allow yourself a month to get a ‘green card’ from your insurance company. This ‘green card’ proves that you are covered by your insurance for at least the country you’re in. Slap on a GB sticker, even if you already have a GB symbol on your registration plate.

Purchase a GB sticker here

What you will need is an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.There are three types of IDP; a 1926, 1949 and 1968. This all depends on where you’re travelling, as it differs for each country. You can find an extensive list of the gov.uk website outlining every EU country from Andorra to Sweden. If you still have a paper licence, it might be time to upgrade to a photo licence as most European countries like to see one.

You can pick up an IDP from your local Post Office, and you can find all the information on the Post Office website.

An IDP is valid for 1 to 3 years and the applying process can be quite simple. The basics are that you will need a photograph at passport standard, your licence, your passport and £5.50. Once you’ve done this you are ready for Europe and Europe is ready for you. 

View all articles